You want to use the easiest authentication method, in order to add users/permissions to your application.
- Install the act_as_authenticated plugin:
script/plugin install http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/acts_as_authenticated
- Generate controllers, models and migration:
script/generate authenticated user account
- Add necessary user foreign keys in appropriate tables (ie customer in xxx_create_users.rb), plus other fields you may want to use in your user table (ie role):
create table "users", :force => true do |t| t.column :login, :string ... t.column :role, :string, :default => 'C' ... end add_column :customers, :user_id, :integer ... def self.down ... remove_column :customers, :user_id end
- Run the migration:
rake db:migrate VERSION=xxx
- Comment out from app/controllers/account_controller.rb the following:
- Add it in the app/controllers/application.rb just under the class declaration.
- Add in application.rb (same as above) the following just after the session section:
before_filter :login_required, :except => [:login, :signup, :logout]
- Comment out the default redirection after login and put your own (ie customers): in the account_controller.rb, just before
the flash[:notice] = “Logged in successfully”.
Also add the else for the the invalid login:
redirect_back_or_default(:controller => 'customers', :action => 'list') flash[:notice] = "Logged in successfully" else flash[:notice] = "Invalid Login/Password!"
- Change the action in the signup and logout functions in the account_controller.rb file from index to login
- Add (optionally) more fields (role) in the signup page (app/views/account/signup.rhtml):
<%= f.select :role, ['A','R','C'] %>
- Add restrictions for displaying records depending on user logged in, by using the conditions_for_collection of the activescaffold plugin in app/controllers/customers_controller.rb:
def conditions_for_collection ['customers.user_id = (?)', current_user.id] end
- Add a menu page layout in app/views/layouts/_menu.rhtml:
- Add the call to the menu partial in the app/views/layouts/application.rhtml, just before the div with id=main :
<%= render :partial => "layouts/menu"%>