You would like to use OpenStreet maps in your Garmin GPS, and be able to use navigation.
- Download the program mkgmap from here
- Download the map for the country you want from here
- Unzip the downloaded files to a folder ie (map_for_a_country)
- Unzip the mkgmap and run the following to create a map that you can upload to your Garmin’s SD /Garmin/ directory
./mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --index --route --description="Country_Name" $( ls /map_for_a_country/*.img )
- Rename gmapsupp.img to country_name.img and upload to your Garmin
You would like to create your own map that includes different tiles and upload it into your Garmin’s SD card.
- Make sure that your SD card is formatted with the FAT32 file system and not with the default exFAT that comes as standard in some > 32GB SD cards. There is no limit in the size that your Garmin can read provided is FAT32.
- In your SD card create a directory called Garmin if it does not exist.
- Download the latest version of the program mkgmap from here
- Put all your .img tile files in a directory called my_tiles for example.
- Go to the directory that you downloaded the mkgmap zip file and extract the files
- Run the following to combine them all toghether:
./mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp $( ls my_tiles/*.img )
- Rename the resulting image file and upload it to your Garmin SD card inside the Garmin folder